Issue: 1 Updated: 26th June 2010
11 decades on from the 1st run on 14th November 1896, when 33 vehicles made the journey celebrating the rising of the speed limit from 4 mph to 14 mph & the abolition of a man with a red flag leading a car
We present a two part copy free feature of the 110th run held on 5th November 2006
This is just a taste with a small selection of the pictures taken of nearly 500 vehicles participating going through Staplefield/Whitemans Green outside Haywards Heath
Picture numbers are followed by entry (number) where known & applicable
1. (1) An 1895 Vis-a-vis Peugeot from the Louwman driven by Everet Louwman
2. (190) A 1902 Mors driven by owner John Bentley
3. (55) A 1900 vis-a-vis De Dion Bouton driven by Dr David Colier
4. (110) 8hp Panhard et Levassor from 1901 from the Ward Collection driven by Daniel Ward
5. (10) Panard et Levassor from 1897 driven by Roy Tubby
8. (36) A charming old Delahaye from 1899 with a 9hp engine driven by Toby Ward
9. A classic 1960's Farina designed Austin A40
More pictures of this cute little car at the A40 Farina Club Gallery
10. (175) A Benz from 1902 driven by David Corry
11. Skyline not the car but the camera mast for aerial pictures
12. (33) A 1899 Peugot 9786 AP driven by Michael Kent passes the Staplefield village sign, more about Staplefield West Sussex
13. (60) Gardner-Serpollet Steam Car built in 1900 with a double phaeton body, driven by Robert Dale
14. (235) 1903 De Dion Bouton SV 6191 driven by Anthony Tidy passes the Jolly Tanners
15. (324) MMC from 1903 with a big 20hp engine driven by Henry Lawson
16. Foot to the floorboards this old boy clearly enjoying the sunny day
17. (301) A 1903 Renault driven by Allan White
18. (147) Panhard et Levassor from 1902 driven by Laura Clemisnon puts up a bit of smoke
19. (18) A 1898 Daimler from the Ward Collection driven by Andrew Johnson
19. A very nicely turned out Morgan 3 wheeler fitted with Matchless engine
Exc23/06/10 - Exellent
viewing but purely for the record, with respect, No.19, the red Matchless Morgan
Super Sports, is in fact powered by a WATER cooled Matchless MX4 990cc V-Twin.
(See rad, pipes and barrels)This produced 42.5 BHP.
The aircooled version, type MX2, had a dummy radiator with finned barrels, same cc but producing 39.5 BHP.
I've been a proud owner of one for over 45 years !
Thanks, Paul Baker from Coventry
20. 1903 Renualt driven by Nicholas Dorrington
The day attracts everyone with a classic or interesting car, many park up along the route to watch the run others join it
21. Riley 2.5 Ltr RM Series see the Riley RM Club for more
22. (259) Martin Landless has a spot of trouble with his 1903 Panhard et Levassor
Overheated she'd lost water & boiled, she ran briefly when cooler but gave up the ghost a few minutes later & was taken the last few miles by RAC low loader
23. 1972 Lotus Elan on which the Worlds most popular sports car the Mazda MX5 was based
More from Lotus at the Lotus Motor Club
Next Page ......