Scotland & Northumberland
Another look around Edinburgh, the borders at Hadrian's Wall & Northumberland
Page 2 of 5
A copy free feature
Quick Links : 1 : 3 : 4 : 5
26. ... in the shadow of impressive Edinburgh Castle
Princes Street Gardens were created in 1820's after the draining of Nor Loch & the building of the New Town
27. Princes Street Gardens
28. Junction of West Bow & Cowgate below Victoria Terrace
29. Kilted gentlemen in Grassmarket
30. The Hub on the Royal Mile
The gun that never was ......
31. Self explanatory
32. The infamous gun from the Castle's high terrace
Determined rain, but let's wait awhile it's only 10 minutes until the firing!
33. Princes Street Gardens
Won't be long now!
34. Poised for the firing
Sergeant at Arms checking the time, all very theatrical playing to the large crowd
35. Waverley Railway Station (Edinburgh Central)
36. 'Just a few more moments by my watch - FIRE'
'Oh %^*> that didn't work'
37. North Bridge with Carlton Hill beyond
38. 'em now lets see, dud shell, oh well there's always tomorrow'
The 1 o'clock gun failed to fire on 29th September 2010
39. Edinburgh Castle
Side detail of the building which houses Scotland's Crown Jewels
40. Great Hall part of the War Museum
41. Keys to the City of Edinburgh
42. Military Prison
43. Edinburgh Castle
ok, let's go for a walk
44. Hilly Destination
Not before a tipple though ...
45. The Oxford Bar window detail
... at the Oxford Bar at 8 Young Street in the New Town where writer Ian Rankin created John 'Rebus'
Very much a setting of his books The Oxford Bar is his characters & own favourite watering hole referred to as the Ox' & sometimes 'The Sutherland'in the novels
Other pubs get a look it too such as the The Cafe Royal Bar
46. John Gates former Landlord
John Gates above was licensee of The Ox' from 1994 - 2005
Visit The Oxford Bar to see how little has changed over the decades
Arthur's Seat ......
47. Set in Holyrood Park - Arthur's Seat
48. One of the various route's to ...
49. ... the top
Arthur's Seat is formed from an extinct volcano
50. No Monster
At just 250.5 meters (823' above sea level) is quite an easy walk from the eastern approach of Dunsapie Loch
51. Halfway point
Next Page ......