A copy free feature of a springtime walk around the Stony Stratford
'Stratford' Anglo Saxon a foord by which a Roman Road crosses a river
'Stan-eg' meaning: Stony translates as Stone Island
We take in the picturesque & historic sights of the small Town on 21st April 2015
A Civil Parish with its own Council Stony Stratford lies within the Borough of Milton Keynes
Page 1 of 2
1. Market Square Car Park
Begin your walk in Market Square ...
2. The Town Plan
The street pattern laid out in the Middle Ages, to the backs of the dwellings narrow strips of land were known as 'Burgage Strips' for rear access
3. Market Square
Richard the 1st granted a corn & cattle Market in 1194
4. The Crown Inn, Market Square
Charles the 2nd granted four annual Fairs could be held in 1662
5. 'The Old Court House'
Once a Victorian Police Station, the Judges Chamber & Cells has been converted to offices
6. Market Square: Cox & Robinson, Pharmacy
Go to the Northern side of Market Square to Church Street ...
7. Number 40 Church Street 'Sundial House'
Was a bakery dating from 1739, further down the street ...
8. Number 36, Church Street
Up until the 1980's part of the 'Sharpe & Woollard' leather works founded by Samuel Sharpe in 1815
Continue along Church Street past the Library ...
9. The Library
Continue to the end of the street to the Church ...
10 & 11. The Church of St Mary & St Giles Tower
Date from 1487 & is the only part of remaining from the rebuild in 1776
Take path round rear of Church, through the Lynchgate onto the High Street, part of the London to Chester Roman Watling Street cross the road to Shell House opposite ...
12. The 17th Century 'Shell House'
So named because of its Shell Canopy
13. Cock Hotel, boasting its 18th Century facade
In 1520 the Inn was bequeathed by Thomas Piggott of Beachampton, set up as a Charitable Trust profits maintained the Bridge & Causeway over the Great Ouse
14. Bull Hotel, 19th Century facade
A Maid at the the Bull Inn is believed to have the great fire of 1742 which destroyed 146 buildings
Both Inns have impressive signs & the saying 'Cock & Bull' story originates here
In 1708 Parliament he Countrys first turnpike (toll road) between Stony Stratford & Hockcliffe was created
Stony Stratford became an ideal 'watering hole' with its many Pubs & Inns for 30 daily horse drawn carriages
Cross back over the High Street to the Stratford Arcade ...
15 & 16. Stony Stratford Arcade
At the entrance the 18th Century Chemist Shop retains original fitted draws
Continue to number 97 ...
17 & 18. One of the oldest surviving buildings
Bears its old sign & Medieval timber roof
Once the 'Guild Hall' & first Court Rooms in 1897
Continue to number 107 ...
19. Number 107 High Street
Designed by local Architect Edward Swinfen Harris in 1892 the inscription over the entrance reads 'Nisi Dominus' the first words of Psalm 127
Continue to the Road Bridge ...
20. Stony Stratford Bridge over the Rover Ouse
Return along the High Street to St Paul's Court ...
21 & 22. St Paul's Court
The Victorian Building was constructed by the Reverend WT Sankey in 1863
A Private School & once a Cigar Factory until purchased in 1895 by Mr Fagan run as a School again until 1962 it's now a restaurant
23. St Paul's Court detail
Turn left into Tower Passage ...
Page 2 ...