A copy free feature of a springtime walk around the Stony Stratford
Page 2 of 2
Pass the 1450 Tower Of Magdalene ...
24. Old postcard of St Mary MagdaleneTower
All that remains of Church destroyed by fire in 1742
25. St Mary Magdalene Church Yard
Continue past the Sports Ground on left into Vicarage Road ...
26. The Towns Eastern edge 'back lane' Vicarage Road terrace from Number 14
Look opposite to the rear of the Bull Inn ...
27.The old Bus Garage & Clare Stables
Continue to the junction with Russell Street, past the site of the Vicarage, turn left into New Street ...
28. Number 2 New Street
Bricked in Date gable end date
In 1862/3 the Reverend WT Stankey re-developed New Street into 'Ram Alley' the equivalent to the 'Shambles' in Yorks connecting the Vicarage to the High Street
29. The Old George Inn
Is one of the oldest surviving Inn's in the town. A former Posting House it dates from 1609 the Bay Windows are from the 18th Century. Note how the road has been built up since they were fitted!
Turn Right to Number 40 ...
30. Number 40 High Street
Specialist Cobblers & Engraving
31. Number 68 High Street
Castle Surplus Store Stony Stratford
Retrace your steps to numbers 26 & 28 ...
32. Numbers 26 & 28 High Street
Looking a little shabby: Once the 'Rose & Crown Inn' where the 'Boy King' Edward V was kidnapped by Henry Stratford, Duke of Buckinghamshire & Richard, Duke of Gloucester (later Richard III)
Taken to the Tower of London with his 10 year old brother the pair were murdered with their remains discovered in the White Tower. Charles II decreed their remains be buried in Westminster Abbey
33. Boys & Girls School
The British School was for Children not permitted to enter a Church of England School which closed in 1907. From 1887 until the 1926 General Strike it operated as a Ticket Office for the famous Steam Tram, these were the largest in the World carrying 100 passengers to the Wolverton Railway Works
The building at time of publication is a Dance Studio
34. Old Postcard of Stony Stratford Tram
One of the monster Trams is on display fully restored at the Milton Keynes Museum, Stacey Bushes
You're at top of High Street look across to the Plough Inn (Not Pictured) ...
An uninspiring building today the land on which it stands was gifted by the Radcliffe Trust in 1867 for Wolverton End Church School for the poor. Financed by Mrs Russell of Beachampton & designed by local architect E Swinfern Harris, 280 pupils attended in the early 1890's, it was to close in 1937 & become to Plough Inn
Turn right to Horsefair Green ...
35. Horsefair Green
Fringed by Limes then open space was from 1480's used for the weekly Horse Fair, the Baptist Chapel now the Community Church & cottages date from 1657
Cross the Green ...
36. The 1914-18 Great War Memorial
Number 35 & Dene Cottage were once the Cottage Hospital whilst numbers 8 & 9 the Maltings
From the Memorial walk along Silver Street ...
37. Road Sign
Live events still take place of the Green such as the Town Fair & Folk on the Green
38. Silver Street
Previously Cow Lane it was renamed in honour of Queen Victoria in 1887
An important lace making area women & children carried out the craft until the outbreak of WW1
Continue to the Old Fire Engine House ...
39. The Old Fire Engine House
Finally stop at the Old Fire Engine House at number 14 it closed in 1958 until that time the horses were kept in the paddock in Horn Lane
40. Old Fire Engine House Plaque
No Cock & Bull story, you've made it proceed to the Cock Inn ...
41. Cock's Ale
Back to the Cock Hotel - You deserve a pint!
Green King make Cock Ale for The Cock Hotel & in Thetford, Bell Ghost Ale
See Thetford, Norfolk
09/02/16 - Still looking for a photo of the Scala Cinema, Stony Stratford. Regards: Bill Pryor, Lynton Station, Devon
Return to Page 1 or the Personal Page Index