Red Sands Radio - Part 15
Issue: 2 Updated: 30th December 2010
Page 1 of 3
Quick Links 2 : 3
Red Sands Radio were approached by BBC TV to film an item on the history of the Forts & its radio stations, this item being for a Children's television programme (CBBC's)
Scene setting - visual ...
1. The Red Sands Forts from the eastern perimeter of the Kentish Flats windfarm (Errol Sidlesky)
Scene setting - audio ...
|Recorded in 2007 one of 12 atmospheric mood tracks by Sons of Alpha Centauri (Battle at) The Forts|
Sons of Alpha Centauri are an Instrumental Riff/Progressive/Alternative Rock Band from Swale (Kent)
The track (Battle at) the Forts was recorded live at Ranscombe Studios
Their Album also called Sons of Centauri - SD006CD on Sound Devestation Records was released in the winter of 2007 & played on Red Sands Radio in 2008
Further tracks from Sons of Centauri can be heard in Sealand Fire - Part 2 & SS Richard Montgomery
2. The red sky with the Red Sands Forts pictured from Tankerton on 23rd May 2010
Clearly visible Red Sands Port handed buoy, the Red Sands Radio antenna with the twin lattice masts on Foulness Island beyond
Set up in conjunction with projectredsand BBC TV (Glasgow) made a preliminary visit on Tuesday 1st June 2010
Captioned images of the visit follow
3. Producer Tracy & Production Assistant Natalie Moss on a reci' visit
4. Out of the mist the Red Sands Forts from the infamous mid-sands beacon
5. Moody and foreboding doors open with work crew Tony, Vaughan, Peter & Andy onboard
6. The 1945 MoD commissioned steam coaster VIC 96 with the bow of the 'Thames Highway'
7. RoRo Thames Highway with VIC 96
The VIC 32 was part of the BBC 2 TV programme 'Three Men Go to Scotland' with Griff Rhys-Jines, Rory McGrath & Dara O'Brian broadcast on 27th December 2010
The VIC Victualling Inshore Craft) vessels were built in their 100's during WWII up until 1943 so quite a common sight off the Forts
You'll find more on these vessels at Trad Boats under Clyde Puffers
8. The 'Thames Highway' making its way East in the Oaze Channel
9. The southern gun tower hatches closed
10. The 'Thames Highway' is operated by KESS IMO# 9316294
11. Tug towing cable reels bound for the Thanet Windfarm
12. The Thanet windfarm forms part of the London Array, power will come ashore from the site 7 miles north east off the coast to a substation at the disused Richborough Power Station, meanwhile development of a site Cleve Hill at Graveney/Seasalter between Whitstable & Faversham will become another substation linking into the National Grid
13. Motor cruiser Libenty belts by
Next Page ...